03 July 2006

VENICE!! This was the view from our Hostel. You can only imagine how beautiful the rest of the city was. We arrived around 11 am on 30 June after taking the night train. It took awhile to find our Hostel- Venice is a little hard to get around. It was hilarious, whenever we asked for directions we were told "go over the bridge, take a right then a left." No joke- every time. There are only about 3,000 bridges in Venice!






"We" means Rene (left), Deanna, and Kat. This is them in front of the cathedral on Piazzo San Marco. The square is gigantic. Unfortunately, I didn't get many good pictures of it that show how big it actually is. I like this one with the cathedral behind them. We had a great day- even though it was quite hot. We kept cool with gelato- lots of gelato.




This is the Grand Canal- gondolas and all. We took a gondola ride Saturday night (accompanied by some extremely cheap local wine in plastic cups- you know I'm classy!) It was an unbelievably good time!



This is the famous Rialto Bridge on the Grand Canal. I took this from a "water bus."



Another picture of the Grand Canal...



I love this one. This is actually a picture of us shortly after buying the extremely cheap local wine. The sign outside the store said "Young local wine, 1.5 liter for €3. Free plastic bottle." We, being starving college students, couldn't pass up the offer. They made me take the first sip in this random alley. I had to get a picture...
It was worth every penny!




This is the Piazzo at night (after the wine). There were pianists and violinists playing at outdoor restaurants. We had a fabulous time dancing our way through the square!





This is a famous church- unfortunately I can't recall the name right now. I'll have to check and get back to you, sorry! It was beautiful, though. Deanna and I stuck around the city on Sunday while Kat and Rene went on to Florence. We peeked in the church while a mass was going on. It was possible the most ornate church I've seen yet. Not my style, but very interesting.




One last picture of the Grand Canal...


...Gorgeous!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meaghan, your pictures brought back memories from my trip to Venice and I am so glad you spent a wonderful weekend there!!!

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meaghan,
you look like you're having a blast
we're glad to see it's been so great.

can't wait to see more!

love,
Uncle John and Aunt Celeste

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to see Italy - let alone Venice. Can't wait to see and taste the wine for myself someday.
Enjoy - Linda

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home