01 October 2006

Krakow...

As I mentioned, Avi and I left for Krakow two days after our very long trip home from Belgium. I had a week off in between my August language course and the regular semester, and it was the last chance I would have to get to Poland while I'm here. We stayed three nights in Krakow, which is a beautiful city.


This is the big square at the center of the old city. We had our first (of many) pierogies that weekend at a cute restaurant in the square. Deeeeeelicious.


This is a huge and beautiful church that's also in the square. The picture below is of the inside, which was more ornate than any church I've seen yet. That is saying something, because I've probably seen about 400 churches in my travels...


After taking this picture of the insiden I was informed that photos weren't allowed. So, once again, I was a criminal with my camera.




We did more walking in Krakow than I think I ever have in my life, and a lot of my pictures (like this one) are just of buildings that I thought were pretty and cannot remember now what they were. Oops. The city is beautiful, though, and it was largely undamaged in WWII, unlike most of the places I've visited.



This is a shot of the castle in the old city- it's actually the side of it. I tried to get as much of it in the picture as I could. To the left was the cathedral, which was huge itself. There was a square and a green with gardens in the center.

This picture is of the same side of the castle from across the green...

It was an absolutely gorgeous day.

This is just a random shot of one of the streets downtown...



And this is one of the gates to the old city.


Avi and I also did a day trip to Auschwitz while we were in Krakow. It's only about an hour outside of the city, and it was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Poland. It was obviously an intense and overwhelming trip, and I just don't feel right posting the few pictures I took there on a blog. However, it was the most valuable trip I've made and I'm so glad that I had the chance to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home